My new Macintosh Powerbook, the 17" model:
• 1GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2 SO-DIMMs
• 100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm
• 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• 1.67GHz PowerPC G4
• ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128MB DDR)
• 17-inch TFT Display
• Wireless and Bluetooth Technology built-in receivers
• Wireless keyboard and mouse
• Microsoft Office for Mac, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Entourage
• FileMaker Pro (databases)
• Mac OS X Panther
• Mac Fonts and More Mac Fonts
• Macromedia DreamSuite
• Virtual PC, which allows me to load PC software...
• And I will be purchasing Adobe Creative Suite for Mac from the school bookstore with the humungous Student Discount!
Fortunately, many of the improvements I made for Arnie, including a new monitor, printer, and external harddrive, are all Mac capatable without converters, and the Mac built in Wireless works on PC Wireless routers... I'll have to find out if my writing tablet is PC or Mac, though if I need to purchase a Mac one, its not that big of an expense.....
As for arnie, its looking like about $1000 to recover the data, and I'll only install a replacement 40 gig harddrive and restore him. However, I will be using this laptop more as a backup than a primary machine. But fortunately this time, its a computer with the requisite equipment and software to handle the majority of my necessary stuff, which is a definate plus to what I have now... I'm sitting in front of my parents computer, and honestly, I can't stand working on it... I feel soo exposed, like i'm downloading porn or something... *I'm not, and not sure I'd know how to anyways* but I don't like people having the chance to look over my shoulder and see whom I'm talking to or what I'm doing... I can't wait to get another laptop...